Become a Member
Our Mission: South Metro Federal Credit Union is a member-owned financial cooperative which provides financial products, services and education enabling Members to achieve personal and financial goals and improve their quality of life.
South Metro membership is an exclusive benefit for individuals who meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- Any person who lives or works in Scott County, Minnesota.
- Any member of the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community.
- Individual members and members of those cooperative groups that are members of Shared Capital Cooperative (see other tab).
- Immediate family members of South Metro Federal Credit Union Members.
- July 1, 2017: Financial services provided by South Metro are now available to residents who live or work in Hennepin and Carver County, Minnesota. Immediate family members of these residents are also eligible for South Metro membership regardless of where they live. Find out more.
The Shared Capital Cooperative is a cooperatively owned community development loan fund committed to fostering economic democracy by investing in cooperative enterprises. The Shared Capital Cooperative, formerly the Northcountry Cooperative Development Fund, was founded in 1978 and provides financing to natural foods, consumer, producer, housing, and worker-owned cooperatives throughout the United States. This organization is certified by the U.S. Department of Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) and serves more than 170 cooperative members in more than 30 states.
Any cooperative or individual join the Shared Capital Cooperative. Your one-time donation of $10 or more will be used to provide assistance to cooperatives and groups of individuals operating or intending to operate on a cooperative basis. If you or your employer are a member then you are, in turn, eligible to join South Metro.
For more information, visit the Shared Capital Cooperative at SharedCapital.coop.
Membership Lasts a Lifetime
A member retains their membership on the basis of “once a member, always a member” status. If membership is established by a child 12 years or younger, a parent member must sign for the child.
I am very happy to become a new member of South Metro Credit Union and I will tell others about how wonderful all of you are there. - Yvonne
How to Join
- Fill out an interest indicator.
- A Basic Membership requires make an initial deposit of $5.00. A minimum deposit of $100.00 is required to open a Checking account, and a photo copy of your Drivers’ License or picture ID (signed) is required.
- Stop by any South Metro Federal Credit Union to finish your application. If you prefer, you may mail your completed paperwork to our office along with an initial deposit.
- Your membership card and deposit receipt will be mailed back to you, along with additional credit union information.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT PROCEDURES FOR OPENING A NEW ACCOUNT
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
What this means for you: When you open an account we will ask for your name, address, date of birth. And other information that will allow us to identify you. We may ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents.
We bring competitive rates, fewer fees, and a more personal approach to lending. Get your next loan at South Metro.
Get exclusive credit union discounts on things you use every day. Visit LoveMyCreditUnion.org for more information. Save thousands of dollars – it’s all free for our members!
This plan includes the Sprint Credit Union Member Discount Plan, which includes 10% off most Sprint service plans, and free activations and upgrades. Learn more about the Sprint Credit Union Member Discount at LoveMyCreditUnion.org/Sprint.
Stop by and pick up your Minnesota Zoo 20% off discount admission ticket. The Ticket is also good for $1 off each persons admission to the IMAX theater located on the Zoo Complex in Apple Valley.
The legend of the 16th century comes to life at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. A successful blend of lively entertainment, unusual foods, unique crafts and family fun, this event blends all the ingredients for a 16th century amusement. Located in Shakopee, the festival runs for seven fun-filled weekends every August and September. Rain or shine and FREE parking.